Ingredients: 2 litres water; 80 g sugar (~80 -150 g/L); 8 tea bags (~4-5 g/L); 330 ml Kombucha Starter
1. Boil the water. Add the tea and brew for approximately 2-8 minutes depending on your choice of tea (refer to H. Crum, The BIG BOOK of Kombucha, pg 61, H Crum, for brew temperatures and times per type of tea). Allow to cool to room temperature.
2. Sieve to remove tea leaves or remove tea bags, add the sugar and dissolve.
3. Allow to cool to room temperature (rt).
3. Pour the cooled (rt) sugared tea into a 2 L jar (preferably one with a tap as in the picture above).
4. Add the 330 ml Kombucha Culture (liquid SCOBY).
5. Use a breathable cotton cloth to cover the top of the jar and secure with an elastic band. Let sit at room temperature (keep within 20 -24 degrees Celsius at all times) for 7-12 days.
6. Taste from day 7 onwards and pour when fermented according to your palate. The longer it sits, the tarter it will become.
7. Refill the brewer with sweet tea and repeat the process (note, always have at least 10 % of fermented tea in the starting vessel. refer to the BIG BOOK of Kombucha for more information on continuous brewing).